30 months hiatus…30 things about me since then!
Oh hello! … (anyone?)
That’s right! It’s me and it’s been exactly 30 months hiatus! Gosh! What a change in the blogosphere and in me since then. I do realize that the blogosphere has dramatically evolved and I might be still stuck in 2015 but the reasons for a come-back are still very similar to those which had prompted me to create “The European Malteser” in 2014. Then, I wanted an outlet to share and document all things which I loved doing and that’s exactly why I’m back. Today, many of those things I love less and others I love more and I might also not relate very much to the ‘Angele of 2015’ but it’s still me…same same but different!
I decided to keep the same blog and the ‘archived’ content active because, even though, I look at the photos of me and don’t see myself…I believe that the Angele of today is a ‘by-product of the Angele of 2015. Also, it does feel good (sometimes) to go back (oh yes! and cringe!) to look back at those memories…. It’s my online journal of a life that was…here’s to sharing & documenting the life that is…
Today, I would love to fill in the gap between ‘then’ and ‘now’ and share with you 30 things, in no chronological or importance order, about me & others which happened since the 2nd of August 2015 when I had last pressed ‘Publish’
Here they go::
- I had to stop blogging because of my new position in Brussels – the nature of the job did not allow ‘blogging’;
- Matt and I moved to Brussels on 15 May 2015. I started my two-year contract in Brussels on 1 June 2015. On 24 June 2015, Matt was offered a job in the United Arab Emirates, which he accepted. On 22 November 2015, we started our long-distance married relationship;
- Matt and I lived in two different households & continents for exactly 24 months (who was counting?!). NOW we are inseparable again;
- In Brussels, I ate & drank my body weight in pizza, frites and mostly red wine;
- I certified as a coffee snob & addict. I only drink ‘real’ coffee;
- I conquered the fear of ‘public speaking’ and I spoke before members of the European Parliament without stammering (much) & chaired numerous meetings #outofmycomfortzone;
- I learnt (the hard way) that I am committed and persevering in anything I do but (sadly) I lack the virtue of consistency. I start but tend not to finish goals/projects/promises – It’s difficult to admit it publicly but I’m seriously working on it. I am perfectly imperfect – and that’s fine;
- I’m on a ‘judgement detox’;
- I’ve been labeled ‘weird’ and worse – I embrace it all! I grew a thick skin and slowly but surely learnt not to let insignificant people in my life affect me by their judgments. No matter what I say or do – Haters gonna hate & I do not care (anymore!);
- I’m a hard-worker and I deliver results #IstanbulConvention#Stop ViolenceAgainstWomen;
- I’m recovering from ‘negativism’. Still not in remission but ‘positivism’ is the antidote;
- I had ceramic braces from 1 January – 30 June 2017 to mark the beginning & end of the Maltese Presidency of the Council of the European Union (I’m weird & they were painful!) Now I finally have straightish teeth!;
- I gained more than 10 kilos since my last blog-post;
- I made ‘unlikely’ friendships, nourished old ones and cultivated new relationships. Finally, I ditched all the ‘bitches’ from my life!;
- I worked as a diplomat for the Government of Malta as a Senior Policy Officer (Civil justice & Fundamental Human Rights) for the first Maltese Presidency of the Council of the European Union in Brussels, Belgium. Loved it & loathed it in equal measures!;
- I’m obsessed with my Apple AirPods. Best Christmas (2017) present ever from Matt. 2016 Christmas present was not bad either:);
- I am currently unemployed;
- I flew more than 10 times to the UAE between the end of November 2015 & August 2017 to visit Matt. The shortest visit was a weekend (+/- 36 hours) to go to Andrea Boccelli’s concert on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. A crazy expense & journey but it all worth it!;
- I am the happiest when I’m with Matt & by the sea;
- I love classic wear and I hate my pre-August 2015 wardrobe – FACT;
- Matt and I went on a road-trip to the north of Italy & Switzerland in August 2015. We loved Lago di Como (Italy) and Furka Pass (Switzerland, where James Bond “Goldfinger” was filmed) & all the fresh sea-food, pizza & wine! If you are ever close to Bologna, Italy it’s a must to stay at Corte D’Abio – the biolake & their organic white wine mix very well on a hot August day;
- I discovered ‘Audio Books’ and can’t stop listening to Personal Development books! The Secret and The 5 Second Rule are so far my absolute favorite. Happy to share my list of already read/to read audio books;
- I love buying second hand books & reading paperback books – I amassed more than 3 huge boxes in Brussels. That said, I do love to read a bit of a crappy Kindle book before I fall asleep!;
- I’m on a mission::Temper the (bad) temper!!!;
- I’ve only baked & decorated a novelty cake once in 30 months – photo below! I really miss it;
- I paid a very expensive gym membership in Brussels for more than 12 months. I went twice for yoga class & four times to have lunch! This tells you a lot about me! In my defence, since 2 January 2018 I’ve been consistently working out – 30 minutes/7 day. I’m sharing my best 21 Day Fix by Autumn Calabrese:: “Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy” (which is applicable to all areas of (my) life);
- I was born to travel ‘business class’ – thanks to Matt’s airmiles who introduced me to business class travelling. Next I’m hoping for First Class:) I now hate turning to the ‘right’ on the plane;
- In September 2017, I sat and passed my driving test AGAIN in Abu Dhabi. I can now drive in the UAE.
- I love expensive things & anti-aging beauty treatments.
- I have a new nose.
I hope you enjoyed reading my 30 facts as much as I enjoyed writing them. Before starting jotting them down I was preoccupied that I would not make it to 30…it was a surprise that I had more than 40 things I could share with you. I would love to do another post like this if you enjoyed it. Do let me know if you want to know more funny & not so funny things about me …or if you want to hear more details about any of the above…until then I leave you with too many photos (I couldn’t choose) marking the 30 months of hiatus!
It feels sort of strange to be back but in a good way!
Photos are not of the best of quality:: taken with my Iphone
Random photos (more than 30) taken in the past 30 months
Snippets of 2015 – randomly
Memories of 2016 – randomly!
The beginning of 2018 deserves a separate post…coming soon directly to your inbox! Have you subscribed yet?