It’s Matt who has a sweet tooth in the family, but I do love the sweetness of Baci (kisses) Perugina. I enjoy them so much that I can eat a whole box on my own. These small delights, wrapped in silver foil with a love quote inside, are divine. Here in Germany and Luxembourg, I can only buy them during the Christmas season. Pity! or not…Maybe more of a blessing for my ever expanding waistline! However I still want to enjoy the Baci if I take the fancy for one or two (or ten); so I decided to look for a recipe online.
Success! I found a super-easy-peasy recipe. Tried & tested (& eaten – ALL).
(Recipe adapted from Ztastylife)
Makes 30 – 35 Baci
- 30 – 35 whole hazelnuts
- 100 grams chopped (in small pieces) hazelnuts
- 375 grams Nutella
- 40 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 160 grams good quality dark chocolate (70% +)
- In a mixing bowl bring together the chopped hazelnuts, nutella and cocoa powder.
- Combine the 3 ingredients with a spoon or using your hands. The spoon does the job & it’s less messy.
- When the mixture is well combined & looks like a dough, refrigerate for about 30 mins.
- Before taking it out of the fridge check that the mixture has solidify a bit. If it’s too soft, it will be hard to form the small balls.
- Start forming small balls. Place on tray covered with baking paper and place a whole hazelnut on top.
- Continue until you have around 30 – 35 balls.
- Put in freezer for about 30 minutes or in the fridge for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Just before taking the balls out of the freezer/fridge, melt the dark chocolate.
- Take the balls out of the freezer and dip completely in the pan with the melted chocolate.
- Using 2 teaspoons, remove the balls and place them on the cooling tray covered with a baking paper.
- Repeat, until you have dipped all the balls. Put the tray back in the freezer ( 30 mins) or in the fridge (50mins) – Until the chocolate dries completely.
- Take them out, arrange on a tray & enjoy!!
Less than € 5.00 for 35 Baci
Storage & Presentation Ideas:
The Baci can be stored in the fridge, in a plastic box, for more than a week (that is if you are strong willed & regimented!), or if you are kind and love your friends, share them! You can guess under which category I fall?! :):)
Put 6 Baci in a transparent bag, tie with a ribbon, add a love/friendship note & present them to your loved one! Surely you will make them smile!
Hope you enjoy making these delicious treats. Although it might look complicated, it’s really super easy. It might get a bit messy when forming the balls, but the END RESULT is all Worth It! And you get to lick your fingers clean! Double wammy! Trust me on this!
On the other hand if baking is not your thing, you still MUST try the Baci . Do go out and Buy a Box! Worth every calorie!
Highlight of the day:
Eating a third of the Nutella jar before starting the recipe & then licking the Nutella jar with my fingers!!! The joys of baking!
“Happiness. Simple as a glass of chocolate or tortuous as the heart. Bitter. Sweet. Alive.”
– Joanne Harris, Chocolat